Fire Breaks Out At National Assembly Building, Guts Several Documents


The national assembly building in the federal capital territory (FCT) was on Thursday evening, August 11, gutted by fire.

It was gathered that the fire, which started on the second floor, room 227, in the new wing of the house of representatives, destroyed several documents and office equipment.

The development was disclosed in a statement released by Agada Emmanuel, director of information, national assembly.

He said the fire was suspected to have been caused by an electrical fault, adding that the fire was immediately contained and did not extend beyond the affected office.

He stated:

“There was a fire incident this evening on the 2nd floor, Room 227, in the new wing of the house of representatives, suspected to have resulted from an electrical fault which was noticed by one of the staff to the clerk, house of representatives, who promptly alerted the Federal Fire Service Unit stationed in the national assembly complex.”

“Accordingly, the fire has been put out with the assistance of staff on duty who immediately broke into the affected office and effectively deployed stationed fire extinguishers on the floor before the arrival of the fire service officer.

“Consequently, the combined prompt efforts curtailed the fire to the affected office only, and power supply to the wing put off to enable a full assessment and investigations into the incident.

“It is expected that after due assessment by the fire service and the estate and works directorates, normalcy in the new wings housing all principal officers of the house of representatives and honourable members offices will be restored immediately.”

Asisat Oshoala Nominated For Ballon d’Or

Previous article

I Was Raped By My Uncle At 15, Toyin Lawani Reveals

Next article

You may also like


Comments are closed.

More in News